The court scholar serving Hermann of Thuringia.

The court scholar serving Hermann of Thuringia.
The scholar

2013/02/23

So long, PhillyIMC!

PhillyIMC is now no more. For a long period, members of the group that maintained the site and contributed stories had been going off to do other things and moving on in their lives one by one. The real problem was that the Philadelphia Independent Media Center never came up with a way to recruit new members, so when people left, there was just one less member to do the work of maintaining the site.

So it's largely been just me maintaining the site for the last several years. I was finally told by my employment company that they'd lined me up for a job, but that the job would not involve being at a computer all day. I feared that this meant that the spammers (People who post unwanted, commercial articles and comments) would eventually figure out that the site was unguarded for a certain number of hours each day and every day when I came back to it, that the site would be overrun with still more spam.

I wrote a note to the fellow who had previously agreed to upgrade our open source content management system from Drupal 5 to Drupal 7 and asked him to shut the site down. He did so and there's now nothing in its place.

I'm very happy that I worked on it. Got to know a number of good people and had some good times.

No comments: